Tuesday 23 April 2013

If life gives you lemons...?

You make lemonade! Went to the hospital today and was utterly delighted by the fact that my doctor, the amazing Mr L had good news for me... The reason for my latest miscarriage was no more than the old genetic lottery that my chromosomes like to play. Bearing in mind all of the reasons that pregnancies end and having been tested with no bad results, I am truly delighted to hear that we are only dealing with the wonky chromosomes and nothing else.

Obviously there has to be a bit of a bummer that comes with this- my chance of miscarrying is higher than we  were told by Guys. It's around the 40-45% mark which is a little bit on the high side but when you think that four in four of my pregnancies have ended in miscarriage, it gives it more reason.

I do, perhaps, have the best consultant ever. He spent around twenty-thirty minutes talking about what our next steps were going to be, how I was doing both physically and mentally and the major "what if" (what if we didn't manage to conceive naturally). He ended the session by giving me a direct number to contact him on as soon as I fall pregnant again so that he can monitor me from the word go. I know my dad has done nothing but ask him to look after me well but he really has. I feel like I'm getting private healthcare attention from the NHS.

It still doesn't make the baby crack lessen and we have an uphill struggle ahead of us but at least we finally have a clear reason. Not only do we have that reason, but it is in fact the same reason we thought we were dealing with in the first place. A known quantity and nothing new.

No comments: