Saturday 21 December 2013

Do you realise?

Ok the original song is by the Flaming Lips and therefore "realise" should be spelled with a "z" but SPELLING, PEOPLE!!!!!

Sorry, I haven't been around for a while- had a few people coming up and asking when there would be another instalment but work has been pretty wickedly wild over the past few weeks. I pulled myself from Facebook for a bit as I found it just too tough to read everyone's status updates about how their Christmas preparations with their kids. After all, we have worked pretty hard at getting one of those kiddlywinks for ourselves by Christmas this year but sadly no baby or bump to show for it. One of those rubbish bits really, can't work hard at it and expect results! Babies come when they come.

In my Facebook absence, I realised that I don't really do very much other than work. Like virtually nothing other than walk the dog or play Sims! It's very much my fault that it has become that way but I need to take steps to change it. My job needs to start coming second to my life as what ever happens over the next few years, I will need to be out of class so that I am less emotionally attached and the thing is, that means leaving my current job as it isn't possible at my school. The job I am going for is a job where I'd be earning more, with more responsibility (but for one area rather than everything!) and working less hours!!!! Yeah doesn't seem right does it? It's almost a little to good to be true. There are downsides but sometimes you've got to just put yourself out there and go for it haven't you?

If I get the post, I will continue the hot bikram yoga that I started in November and I also will head over to the Art Academy to brush up on my skills as it's time I do other stuff than just going to work, working, coming home, working... Also being based in North London, I will have to go through Central to get home so I will be better placed to meet up with friends after work. Is that a glimmer of a life, I can see in the future?! When I walked around the school, I was asked to put in an application form so at least I am something towards what they are looking for.

It's almost the end of the year and whilst this won't be my last post of the year, a friend on Twitter said about how she and her other half had sat down to write down all of the good things that had happened during the year. These are mine.
SARAH'S TOP TEN LIST OF AWESOMENESS FOR 2013 (In no particular order)

  1. We bought our first house together and it's freaking awesome! As a then 30 year old, I felt pretty grown up being able to buy a three bedroom house in London within zone 4! It's our very own little nuclear bunker that is a lovely size with a great garden and in such a quiet, calm area.
  2. Maxwell Lawson- he is totally the top of this list but he wouldn't have happened if we hadn't bought the house. He is a hyper-intelligent, naughty beast who is incredibly cuddly and lovely. 
  3. I stopped smoking. Yes, go fucking me!!!! I haven't smoked for 2 months (bar one last week on Friday but that is another story).
  4. I have lost a dress size- by eating more! I am now eating more food and full fat stuff instead of the diet nasty food.
  5. I started writing again- I haven't written anything personal for more than an entry or two (so many dead blogs!) 
  6. We celebrated our first anniversary- ok not the greatest of years but a year being married to my best mate is not to be sniffed at!
  7. We came back from our first ever trip abroad together (NYC, SF and Hawaii), which also happened to be our honeymoon.
  8. I managed to finish knitting the second ever thing I have knitted to a pattern in my life!
  9. I ran a week-long trip to France for the old Year 6s and it was awesome.
  10. My two best friends got engaged (Di and Derek!) and married (Kat and Chris!). 
So yes, it has been a really tough year but good stuff has happened too. I shall be writing everything down that has gone wrong this year and be holding a fire in my garden to burn the bad things that happened in 2013 away as per the Mexican tradition. 

One of my TAs was holding The Secret book and talking about how it had changed the way she thought and when I asked her about it, she said that there was no point in me reading it as I already think positively. That might just be a projection of what I want people to see but it's time to put that into practise. In 2014, we will try to have a baby but if it doesn't happen, 2015 will be the year that we adopt our baby. Positive thinking time. Enough of the negative.

So the plan for 2014- otherwise known as OPERATION GET A LIFE!
  1. Have a real baby- no more broken ones, thank you wonky genes.
  2. Go back to college to get some more art skills.
  3. Write a book.
  4. Get a new job.
  5. Work on the house- get a loan to do the work needed on the house. Electrics, insulation, porch and some decoration to be completed by December next year.
  6. Work on the garden- or rather, get my mum to do it and pay her in wine and dog sitting.
  7. See my friends- so many have moved to London now and have I seen them? NO! 
  8. Go back to Canada- ok this is a given as I am a bridesmaid but dammit I need to see my girl and definitely need another holiday abroad!
So, a happier look at what went well and an even better if list for next year- can't help it. I'm a teacher!

No comments: