Monday 18 March 2013

Where do we go from here?

So this blog is starting as a means of not randomly sobbing into my pillow or into Paul's chest. Whilst it's completely normal to cry as it's a normal part of grief, I want to try to get my head together as it's more all over the place than a strobe light at a rave.

So grief in respects to miscarriage... that's a weird one. Feeling very guilty about grieving for the four lost pregnancies. I keep having to step outside myself and consider how I would treat a friend in the same situation and I would say that grief is a normal part of getting over losing something that you've loved but at the same time, grief for a miscarriage? Perhaps a stillbirth where you have to give birth to a dead baby but a miscarriage? It doesn't even look like a baby and yet from the moment of the two lines or the cross on a stick, it's not just a "baby" but your son or daughter. Logically it's nothing more than a few cells that may have once held the promise of a baby but fail to produce a heartbeat and yet it's not that to the person carrying it. 

At the moment, I can't even begin to imagine actually having a baby. For me it's all about managing to be pregnant for more than eight weeks, going to buy maternity clothing without fear and having a bump. Having a baby seems so far off at the moment that I can't even begin to dream about it.

I have had four miscarriages now since being together with Paul. The first was about four months after Ruby our niece was born. Very early, like all the others since, but a huge amount of bleeding. In fact, I bled for four and a half weeks and probably should have gone to the doctors. The next one was in the February of 2012- a big bit of guilt here as if it had gone to a full pregnancy, my wedding dress wouldn't have fitted! Found I was pregnant again (my oh my, can I get knocked up easily!) at the end of November and after a weekend of cramping and bleeding (oh and the excessive vomiting that is always a pointer that things are going wrong!), I miscarried in the second week of December. We then went away for an incredible honeymoon to the US where somewhere along the way, another pregnancy was created! This was picked up in a uterine scan as aftercare for the previous miscarriage.

Things seemed to be progressing well: my boobs were seriously huge, had nausea and a hatred of coffee. Had a bit of spotting and legged it to hospital with Paul. They all thought I was completely mad, bearing in mind that it was a tiny amount of blood and I had no cramping!The hospital found that the fetus seemed to be staying put but had only grown a little since the previous week. There was something wrong though. The following weekend, my mum and I headed to the cinema and the excessive vomiting started again. We had to go back in the Tuesday for a scan to try to detect a heartbeat. Of course, there was none.

I had been checking this pregnancy like a madwoman. testing every two seconds as if one was going to come back saying, "Don't be so daft! This is all a mirage and not real", like the ending of a seriously shit book. My iPhone battery was constantly worn away to nothing where I had been checking everything that crossed my lips and even whether I could pluck my eyebrows... Even though I am a devout atheist, I started making deals with all the gods, praying that something would give me what I desired- a healthy pregnancy and maybe even a baby at the end of it? My lunacy even stretched to praying on ambulances- when I went through my crazy catholic stage whilst at uni, I remember one of the girls praying for ambulances when they passed with blue lights-I was making deals that if I was good enough to pray for this person, whom I have never met, then surely I deserved to have a baby? Every toilet trip, double the amount out of fear not just baby bladder, was a trip towards certain doom- the blood on the toilet paper. When the heartbeat wasn't there, there was a moment of sheer relief. I wanted that pregnancy more than anything else in the world but not the madness that came with it.

It wasn't a spontaneous miscarriage like all the others-it was a missed miscarriage where the dead foetus is still inside you and your hormones still say to your body that you're pregnant. Despite the grotesque description, it felt more human than the others as I got to have a little control by dictating that I wanted it removed. I felt very alienated when I went in to have it done but as soon as I came around from the anaesthesia, I wept. My baby had gone. The baby that I had a scan photo from the hospital- the one that I really hoped would be a baby I got to hold. The surgeon, the consultant whose care I am under for the other miscarriages, came to see me (probably because my dad had pulled every NHS trick he could to make sure I was seen by him and no one else) and asked how I was- the brave face "Fine" started.

Brave face had seen me through the day at work until Friday. Friday afternoon, our lovely music teacher had my class when my TA and I were asked to get a book ready to be sold at the Comic Relief  sale after school. Within a couple of minutes out of class, I was weeping at poor Mandy. Before Friday, there had been the odd moment when tears would flare but generally, I could get it back under control. The floodgates opened and I was full on weeping in the corridors, something that previously I had managed to save for bus journeys and reaching home. I spoke to our Deputy Head as I feel like the past two weeks, I've just been giving short shrift to everything and I didn't want her thinking that I was slacking. She said the same thing that everyone else has been saying about how well I've been coping etc and the usual stuff about how unfair it all is. The thing is there isn't anything else people can actually say or do is there? It's what poor Paul begged of me when I had been sobbing from 9 at night until 2 the following morning- what can I do? but there is nothing that anyone can do or say to make it better as nothing brings that baby back, stops the bleeding, the tiredness or the lowness.

I do keep asking Paul if he is ok as the attention does go to the woman. His response is always that I am his number one priority and at most he'll say how unfair it all is. I have apologised for bringing these problems into his life but he said that I was open from the beginning of the relationship- that having a baby was always going to be difficult. There was also a text exchange last week where I apologised for all the crazy that I was bringing at the moment and wished we didn't have to go through it. His response was beautiful,"I love you girl. No need to apologise sweetie. I wish we didn't have to deal with this situation but I would rather deal with it with you than not have the situation and not have my girl." Poor man. Constant crying fits that can last up to five hours? Woohoo!

Pragmatism is my chant at the moment. Trying to constantly remind myself of how much I already have and I have a hell of a lot! I utterly adore my husband and he is my best friend; even though my family are mad, they don't drive me completely bonkers and I love them very much; my friends are seriously awesome- more like family members than friends; I have a job that I adore and enjoy getting up for; I have two very broken but loving cats and live in a beautiful apartment in a lovely part of London. I keep repeating it to myself to remind myself of what I've got but as my step-mum said, "Once you start the babycrack, that's all you want!"

So we get to what happens next... It's not true infertility as after all, I can get pregnant and pretty easily. I have inherited a balanced set of trans-located chromosomes from my dad- the number 9 and 18 basically have swapped ends so there's the right amount of data but it's in the wrong places. This results in a 30% chance of miscarriage for every pregnancy (15% being the norm for everyone else) and a 3% chance of a serious genetic malfunction that would result in a viable pregnancy but not a baby that would live for anything longer than a year. Yes, as my Deputy Head said that actually it's 70% chance of a baby and 97% chance it will be completely healthy but realistically, after having four that have landed in the 30%, you can't think in that way. I fell like I'm dealing with percentages rather than the hoped end result of a baby. We can carry on trying naturally as after all, my mum and dad managed to have two children (seven miscarriages) and my step-mum and dad managed to have one child (five miscarriages)- yeah, I'm in the low leagues against them! 

The other next steps are a bit hairy and frightening (also feel like all hope has been given up)- PGD (pre implantation genetic diagnosis) where they will harvest some of my eggs and Paul's sperm, create embryos from them, checking them at the eighth split and re-implant the ones that have a chance of not having genetic damage to them. So, the live birth rate of PGD in 2011 was 31.6% per cycle. The next one is egg donation- I am not bothered about the DNA not being mine as after all, I'd being giving birth to it and feeding it etc. The chance of having a baby at the end of egg donation is 43.1%. The final choice would be adoption- something that both Paul and I are open too. I am quite frightened of the IVF route. There is still no guarantee of a baby at the end of it and the side effects can be really nasty, and I'm not just talking mood swings but cancer and ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome.

Urgh! So anyway, a scary path ahead. Just please understand my hatred towards pregnant women and the lack of likes from me on your new scan photos 'cos fuck it, that grief is real! How come you get your baby and Paul and I don't? My mum is currently on a new baby knit strike- refusing to knit for any new babies until she gets her first grandchild. So excuse me for my current craziness and be warned that it's likely to be a long one! 

13 comments:

Andrea Ellison Photography said...

oh lady ..............you are beautiful ....and so is that post ....once I got past the tears for you and all your babies xx I wish above anything that there was something more practical that I could do although I am not sure what ......other than say I am thinking of you both a lot

Unknown said...

Thank you lady. We will have a baby one way or another and will be hiring you for the birth/ adoption photos when we do! Can't get rid of us now!x

Andrea Ellison Photography said...

Sarah...I look forward to that day xxx and I can not wait it will be my absolute pleasure

Love Emily said...

Hi Sarah,
I came across you via @SAHMlovingit on Twitter and just wanted to offer my support in some small way.
I had two miscarriages - one at 6 weeks, one at 12 weeks - I'm now 4 days away from being full term and I'm still so scared something will go wrong, until I hold that baby in my arms I won't quite believe it's real!
For me, the worst thing was people's 'supportive' comments - like "well at least you know you can get pregnant!" or "I had a miscarriage and now I have 4 beautiful children!" (that doesn't help me when I don't know if I can even have 1!).
It took me six months to deal with the grief caused by our second miscarriage and then, just as I was feeling better, within 3 weeks of each other, 3 of our siblings announced pregnancies - one with twins. This sent me into a huge downward spiral of bitterness and jealousy. How can it be so easy for everyone else?!
I also found it hard that it's not taken seriously by doctors until you've had 3. Even after two I couldn't bear the thought of going through it again. They just tell you that 1 in 5 pregnancies fail - to which my response was 'well I have 2 in 2'!
The best thing for me though was when I started thinking of our babies as 'babies'. It might sound silly as you never held them, but they were real to you. They were your children for that short while, you had hopes and dreams for them, you had given them a little identity and you hoped one day you would meet them. Once I accepted this, it meant I could allow myself to grieve for something real and I could move on.
I hope in some small way that helps. You will get there eventually. Good luck! xxx

Unknown said...

Hi Emily,
That was a truly beautiful message!
Oh the supportive comments are hilarious aren't they?! I have also had the "Well, at least you know you can get pregnant" and even the "You know what's going wrong- a lot of people don't"- it's not as if I can do terribly much even with knowing what is going wrong!
I've always thought of each of my pregnancies as babies. They were my babies even though it was for a purely fleeting moment in time.
We will get there. I am lucky- time is on my side!
Best of luck with your new baby- I know they will bring you so much joy!
xxx

Yummy Mummy in Waiting said...

Hi Sarah, I came across your blog from a tweet on twitter. I too have had 4 miscarriages, all by 7 weeks. I found out I was pregnant again in November (5th pregnancy) but ended up being admitted to hospital on New Years Day with an ectopic pregnancy. The feelings, the questioning, the anger, the grief is all very real and I guess a part of the healing process, and hits at any time. I can't really offer any words of wisdom on coping with miscarriage, just allow yourself the time to grieve, as you say from the time you see those two lines that's your son or daughter.
We've finally got an appointment with the recurrent miscarriage clinic so will hopefully get some answers, and get our baby.
I have a friend who has just had twins through egg donation; if you decide that is the route for you and if you have questions I'm sure she'd be happy for me to put you in touch with her. I truly hope you get your baby and very soon.
One final note in my waffling on, if you're looking for further support there's a wonderful community on Twitter, and an organisation called Saying Goodbye which has been set up by people who know exactly what you're going through as they've been there themselves.
Best of luck to you.
Tee x

Anonymous said...

there really are no words for miscarriage. I've been there twice and its unspeakable. wanted to send you virtual hugs and let you know that I share your struggle and am believing with you for a miracle. Emily is right. your babies were and will always be - YOURS. Grieve the loss, and hold them in your heart while staying hopeful for the future. Be blessed.

Unknown said...

Hi Emily (and Sarah)

I can imagine just how awful miscarriage can be, but I'm sorry, I really disagree with your opinions about 'supportive comments'.

I am infertile. I cannot conceive. At all. And so know that actually getting pregnant is half the battle. If you can conceive (which you obviously can) then at least you can do something. Women who are infertile do not even have that and so I think your flippant dismissal is really quite selfish.

Those who have children but have suffered past miscarriages are trying to offer you hope. Or perhaps, pointing out that after a mere two miscarrages, that you are possibly over-reacting?

Also, those people who are saying those things say them because they care and are trying to make you feel better. Everyone knows that their words are empty in the face of your grief but they care enough to try and offer solace anyway - and you have just dismissed their efforts.

I don't understand your justification Emily for being 'bitter and jealous' about the announcements of your siblings. That must have made them feel awful. I know how hard it can be - my twin has two beautiful boys and fell pregnant with the last when I was told that I could never have children. I felt crushed. But I was determined not to let my news overshadow her joy, her pregnancy and her time with her babies. I wanted to be there to support my twin, not surround her with my own bitter feelings and jealous thoughts. Now my nephews are such a joy for me.

Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their own feelings. It was just that what struck me about reading your comment was just how uncaring you seemed about the people who were trying to support you, and the family you already have.

Unknown said...

Hi Ruth,
Tried writing a comment earlier but my daft phone seems to have not published it!
I am sorry that my posts have caused you distress. My blog is a way of getting my feelings, which tends to come out in somewhat of a torrent, down rather than being a well thought out and edited piece of writing.
As you say, the words cannot comfort me right now but I am eternally indebted to my family and friends. They are incredibly awesome and there's not a day that goes by where I am not thankful for how supportive they are being throughout these difficulties. The comments such as those I listed, are in fact generally by acquaintances- realistically by being so open, I am courting them.
I think that it's very important to remember that there is not a hierarchy to problems with pregnancy. In my non professional opinion, the three of us are grieving- you for the babies that you can't have and us for the babies we've lost. Losing multiple pregnancies does not mean that I am any further ahead of you in the battle to have a baby. Also it doesn't matter whether you lose one pregnancy or all of them, the grief is real. There is no over-reaction regardless of the number.
The bitterness and jealousy that Emily talks of is not necessarily one that you show to other people. It is often a very masked, silent one that appears when you are alone and can wail like a banshee.
Again, I apologise for any distress caused. I hope you get everything you want.
Take care, xxx

Unknown said...

Hi Tee,
Thank you for your comment. I am so sorry for the loss and suffering that you are going through (I read a little of your blog too!)I haven't been referred to a recurrent miscarriage clinic-probably because with us, as far as they know, we're dealing with a known quantity with my translocated chromosome.
I was a little worried about the Saying Goodbye events since they are all at churches and not being religious, am not sure that it would suit. I will look into it a little more though!
Good luck with the appointment- I really hope that you get your baby sooner rather than later. I have added you on twitter and I would love to stay in touch as you go on your baby journey.
Take care, xxx

Unknown said...

Thank you for taking time to write such a wonderfully supportive message. We will get our baby, it doesn't really matter how (am tempted to borrow one from one of the huge families at school!). Good luck for your journey xxx

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah

Don't apologise! I'm not upset by your blog - I find your honesty refreshing and you're welcome to your own opinion. I was really referring to Emily's comments as I was really struck by them and I felt like I had to say something.

There is no hierarchy to pregnancy issues. But sadly there is a reason why doctors will not refer you before you have had three miscarriages. It doesn't mean that the first two or unimportant or hurt less - it is just a sad fact that so many women miscarry at least once. I meant no offence.

It is one of my personal irritations that every woman who has one or two miscarriages, or takes longer than 6-9 months to conceive immediately jumps to conclusions and assumes that they cannot have a baby. As someone who genuinely cannot, it winds me up something no end.

My second irritation is the 'bump-bashing' that occurs when women who are struggling make rude comments, or unkind about women who are having babies. Bitterness and jealousy does often show through, even if you think it is hidden it can show on your face and controls your behaviour to a point that it can hurt those closest to you. One of the things I had to deal with is realising that other women are not having children to spite me. I really believe that even if your are grieving, that gives you no excuse to behave badly towards others in your life. You cannot expect other people to put their lives on hold until you have a child and Emily should have been happy for her siblings not having to suffer.

And, if even acquaintances refused to offer any word of support then that would be noted and upsetting too! People are only trying to help.

Just me though! You don't have to agree!

Andrea Ellison Photography said...

Sarah Lawson...I bloody LOVE you x